Don’t you love spending a day out on the coast or in your favourite Cornish town, only to be surprised by one of Cornwall’s quirky pop up vans parked up serving some seriously good food. Here are our top favourites but do be sure to check out their social media and online sites to see where and when you can find them!
- Kern of Kernow – Driving around Cornwall in a 70s French transporting van named Beyonce, Kern is all about good bundt cakes and good coffee. Owners and cake creating twins Kris and Maren were born and lived in Germany until they were ten and combine their German roots with their Cornish food. Their baked delights, from the sweet to the savoury are delightful to eat and look at. kernofkernow.co.uk
- The Cornish Catch – When summertime hits St Ives you’ll find the Cornish Catch’s maroon van parked up on Smeaton’s Pier serving some sumptuous seafood. From crab linguini and crispy squid to scallop noodles and mackerel bruschetta this is the perfect pop up stop to enjoy on the pier watching the world go by (mind the seagulls though).
- Hungry Horsebox – With nothing but the golden sands of Gwithian and the lapping sea, Hungry Horsebox serves great coffee and sweet treats to perk you up on your beach treks. Enjoy one of their cream teas on their picnic benches complete with umbrella to cool down on the hot summer days or check out their summer evening feast nights!
- Vood Bar – 100% Vegan Cornish food no matter what your tastes you will find something tasty at the Vood van. Their fresh and clever use of ingredients have proved a real hit with the locals. From vegan pasties to battered chips, quiches, wraps, burgers, cakes and ice creams!
- Flour Power Pizza Parlour – If the name isn’t enough to get you hunting down this pop up, then perhaps the artisan pizza’s will be. Owners and chefs, Rebecca and Simon, trained in Italy to become professional pizzaiolos in Florence and make their pizza using healthy, multigrain dough that they rest for at least 72 hours. From flavours such as Cornish salami infused with seaweed and cider to a classic margherita full of mozzarella, basil and tomato. www.flourpowerpizzaparlour.co.uk
6. Bangers on the Go – It’s a meat feast at this foodie truck! Bangers has a passion for gourmet hotdogs, burgers, slow cooked pulled pork and a range of veggie dishes too! It’s dripping with tasty goodness.
7. The Shellfish Pig – One of Cornwall’s most famous food vans, the Shellfish Pig offers everything a pig and seafood lover can dream of. The menu changes seasonally but expect tender dishes such as spicy crab tacos, slow braised pork cheeks and haddock chowder to name but a few! theshellfishpig.co.uk
8. Donut Dollies – This family run business led by a team of polka dot daring ladies aims to bring the sweet hot rings that are donuts to the people of Cornwall. Find their 1940s inspired van at various festivals and events and indulge in some of their fluffy donuts covered in a range of toppings from caramel sauce and cream to strawberry jame and clotted cream! donutdollies.net
9. El Huichol – Tacos, tacos and more tacos, this Mexican loving food truck bring authentic food straight from the grill, celebrating the connection between Cornwall and Mexico. A few of our mouth-watering favourites are: Tequila and Chipotle Tempura Battered fish, Black Bean and Charred Corn and Pibil Pork, Pink Onions and Slaw. elhuicol.co.uk